About Our Church
The Shiloh African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
was organized September 29, 1891 by the late Rev. Louis Mason, 427 Valley Place, Englewood New Jersey. The Church’s first location was at the corner of Van Brunt Street and Palisade Avenue. The first Church building was erected on School Street in 1893. It became necessary to move the church to Englewood Avenue.
The rapid growth of the congregation necessitated another move to larger quarters. In 1910 a church building was erected at 129 William Street during the pastorate of the late Reverend R.A. Lyles. The cornerstone laying for the church building took place on Palm Sunday, afternoon in 1911. Dr. Womer of the First Methodist Church, Tenafly Road, Englewood, New Jersey was the guest speaker. Dr. Womer’s text for that auspicious occasion was: “Therefore thus saith the Lord God, Behold I Lay In Zion For a Foundation A Stone, A Tire Stone, A Precious Corner Stone, A Sure Foundation; He that Believeth Shall Not Make haste” (Isaiah 28:16)
The Church was dedicated on the fourth Sunday in July 1911. The Dedicatory Sermon was delivered by the late Bishop Alexander Walters the Presiding Bishop of New Jersey Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church at that time.
On Sunday, July 18, 1976, at 4:00 P.M., a ground breaking service was hel1 for our new sanctuary and social hall on the same property at 129 William Street in the rear of the old church. A part of that property was, purchased under the pastorate of the late Reverend Thomas E. Blackmon.
The service began with a march from the old church site to our new site,led by the late Reverend William Milton Smith who was at the time presiding Bishop of the Second Episcopal District of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. The late Reverend Alfred E. Garnette, Pastor of the Shiloh A.M.E. Zion Church at the time, along with ministers from the Jersey City and Camden districts of the New Jersey Conference, officers, members and friends of Shiloh were participants in the march and service.
On Sunday, July 12, 1977, at 10:00 A.M., a short service was held in the old church followed by a march led by the late Reverend Alfred E. Garnette and the late Robert L. Kegler into our present church facility, where the late Marcus W. Smith, presiding elder of the Jersey City district was waiting. He offered a prayer of blessing for the new church. Regular Sunday morning services followed.